Wednesday, 18 March 2009
week 9 Qs 3 should education stretch a person?
I definitely think that education should stretch a person but only to a certain level, but stretch I mean that it should challenge the student to think further than just the material provided during lectures or seminars. The information provided should urge the student to want to find out more about the topic from other sources as well as contradicting sources to get a different point of view. The sources used should not just be the expected books that are on the reading list but books by other authors to give a different perspective of things, journals provide the most up to date information by academics before books are published as well as using web of science which has books and journals from authors that are not typically found in the everyday library, all these exercises help the user to stretch their mind as well as enrich themselves which new material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you. However, tutors have to put all the books they direct students to on their reading lists. Otherwise other academics wouldn't know the depth and breadth of sources the unit of study draws upon, and students would not necessarily be able to follow up on the sections they are directed to. The university takes a dim view of tutors whose reading lists do not include the sources (excuse me, I must just go and check this unit's handbook! ;-) )
ReplyDelete