a)Oldest digital native: this would be my dad (50) he occasionally buys things off the satellite channels by pressing the interactive button this enables him to get more information about the product as well as select which products he wants as well as which type of delivery he wishes to have. This then leads to the payment page and the purchase is complete. The next stage is to then go on the internet usually on his I-phone and check when the product is dispatched and when it will arrive, and just in case there are any queries the I-phone is close at hand and he can make a call from it. In this we see the use of three overlapping technologies satellite, internet and the phone with the last two converged into one technology
b)Youngest digital immigrant: would be my little cousin Caitlyn (3) when she got a new game for her Nintendo DS she had to go through the section that taught her how to use the game step by step before commencing the game and she had to play the game level by level before see could interact with other users interactively through wireless technology. In this we see the game console being used alongside wireless technology which was previously mainly used in computers and telephone systems.
c)Threat to notion of native/immigrant: this threat would be me :D I tend to alternate between the two in some cases I can be a native which technology that I was raised around such as computer I can expect the technology to teach me what I need to do because I am accustomed to the basics of the technology. Whereas with new technologies such as the Microsoft's Dream Screen I would need the read the manual of how to use it therefore I would take on the role of the digital immigrant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you're the first person I've read who is relating the issue to that of adeptness with 'converged technologies' which is one of Prensky's followers' assertions. Well done.
ReplyDeleteI think your other examples are to the point and succinct.